Direct to an appropriate emergency department for an ENT assessment and commencement of treatment:
Sudden onset hearing loss in the absence of clear aetiology
Sudden hearing loss due to trauma or vascular event
Sudden, profound hearing loss.
Criteria for referral to public hospital specialist clinic services
- Asymmetrical hearing loss with significant impact on the patient
- Sensorineural hearing loss confirmed by diagnostic audiology assessment
- Symmetrical hearing loss caused by ototoxic medicine(s).
Information to be included in the referral
Information that must be provided
- Results of diagnostic audiology assessment.
Provide if available
- Description of hearing loss or change in hearing.
The Summary and referral information lists the information that should be included in a referral request. Where appropriate and available the referral may be directed to an alternative specialist clinic or service.
Referral to a public hospital is not appropriate for
- Symmetrical gradual onset hearing loss
- Symmetrical age-related hearing loss
- Patients with a normal audiogram.