Criteria for referral to public hospital specialist clinic services
- Positive coeliac serology
- Advice on, or review of, symptomatic coeliac disease (previous histological diagnosis) not responding to dietary and medical management.
Information to be included in the referral
Information that must be provided
- Coeliac serology results or previous histology results
- Full blood examination
- Iron studies.
Provide if available
- Gastrointestinal symptoms (e.g. diarrhoea, weight loss)
- Previous gastroscopy results
- Previous histology results
- Previous gastroenterology assessments or opinions
- Urea and electrolytes
- Liver function tests
- Details of previous medical management including the course of treatment and outcome of treatment
- Details of any other autoimmune conditions.
The Summary and referral information lists the information that should be included in a referral request.
Where appropriate and available the referral may be directed to an alternative specialist clinic or service.
Referral to a public hospital is not appropriate for
- Positive coeliac gene test without positive coeliac serology.