Immediately contact the ENT registrar to arrange an urgent ENT assessment for:
- Rapid progression of obstructive sleep apnoea.
Criteria for referral to public hospital specialist clinic services
- Obstructive sleep apnoea with:
- Nasal obstruction
Information to be included in the referral
Information that must be provided:
- History of symptoms over time and burden of symptoms, sleep quality (especially the story from partner), waking during the night and level of tiredness (including Epworth Sleepiness Scale)
- Patient's weight
- If the patient is taking an antidepressant medicine.
Provide if available:
- Recent polysomnography results.
The Summary and referral information lists the information that should be included in a referral request.
Referrals for other forms of obstructive sleep apnoea should be directed to a multidisciplinary sleep clinic or respiratory service.
Where appropriate and available the referral may be directed to an alternative specialist clinic or service.
Referral to a public hospital is not appropriate for