Direct to an emergency department that can provide a gynaecology assessment:
- Acute, severe pelvic or abdominal pain.
Criteria for referral to public hospital specialist clinic services
- Persistent pelvic pain that has not responded to adequate medical management.
Information to be included in the referral
Information that must be provided
- Past medical history including:
- obstetric and gynaecological history
- pain severity, duration, any link to menstrual cycle or dysmenorrhea
- how pain is different to any co-existing gastrointestinal pain
- any previous pelvic inflammatory disease
- any history of sexual abuse
- previous medical and surgical management
- Current and complete medication history (including non-prescription medicines, herbs and supplements)
- Any medicines previously tried, duration of trial and effect.
Provide if available
- Current cervical screening results
- Sexually transmitted infections test results.
The Summary and referral information lists the information that should be included in a referral request.
Specialist multidisciplinary programs for women experiencing complications with transvaginal mesh are available at:
- Royal Women’s Hospital
- Mercy Hospital for Women
- Monash Health
- Western Health.
Women may also be referred to a chronic pain service.
Where appropriate and available the referral may be directed to an alternative specialist clinic or service.
Referral to a public hospital is not appropriate for