Direct to an emergency department for:
- Thyroid mass with difficulty in breathing.
Criteria for referral to public hospital specialist clinic services
- Assessment of suspected malignancy
- Thyroid mass associated with mild to moderate compressive symptoms
- Thyroid mass associated with hyperthyroidism.
Information to be included in the referral
Information that must be provided
- Ultrasound with, or without, fine needle aspiration results
- Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) and free thyroxine (T4) results.
Provide if available
The Summary and referral information lists the information that should be included in a referral request.
Note: there are also ENT statewide referral criteria for Thyroid mass.
Where appropriate and available the referral may be directed to an alternative specialist clinic or service.
Referral to a public hospital is not appropriate for